The History of First Baptist Mt. Juliet
Mt. Juliet Baptist Church began with a group of 13 believers.
The group made plans for a building on a lot given to them.
The building was completed with much labor and sacrifice and dedicated on June 24, 1905.
March 6, 1938, fire destroyed that building, but did not disrupt the mission of the church.
A new building was completed and dedicated on December 17, 1944.
Tragedy struck again on November 14, 1946, when the newest building once again was leveled to ashes. The church kept moving forward with plans to rebuild.
1947 - 1953
The church continued to grow, advancing evangelistic efforts and strengthening its educational program.
Overcrowded conditions birthed a new vision to add an additional north wing to the educational building. A west wing was added in 1969.
1972 - 1973
Billie K. Friel was called to pastor First Baptist Mt. Juliet. The church voted to purchase 37 acres for a future building.
The first church service was held in our present church building.
Mt. Juliet Christian Academy was started with grades 1-3.
1979 - 2011
Campus improvements took place, with an addition of MJCA facilities, and children’s building, etc.
2018 - 2019
Dr. Phillip Dunn is voted in as the Pastor of FBCMJ as the church begins a new chapter of ministry.
The church affirms a Campus Planning Team to complete the vision of a Worship Center expansion and master plan to meet the needs of dynamic growth. March 3, 2020, a tornado hit our campus heavily damaging our infrastructure and facilities. Our church joined in prayer and unity to move forward with a capital campaign to rebuild and expand the church and school campus for the glory of God.
The church breaks ground on the new worship center, campus rebuild, and campus expansion.